Agonizomai: Science Fiction as Truth

Thursday, March 12, 2009

Science Fiction as Truth
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.

Philip K. Dick, "How to Build a Universe That Doesn't Fall Apart Two Days Later", 1978

[Please don't Make any more of this than it is. Dick was a troubled man, even more so from 1974 until his death in 1982 - plagued by encounters and visions that I could only describe as demonic, and which did not bring him the peace that a saving encounter with the true living God would give. This citation is, however, an ironic truth.]

4 Comments:

Blogger THEOparadox said...

Tony,

Just reading about him is disturbing, but he was a great fiction writer. Have you ever heard his short story, "The Eyes Have It"? I like that story.

Derek

8:56 am  
Blogger agonizomai said...

Derek,

I think I may have read the story you mention, but it would have been a long, long time ago.

I was an avid SF fan in my youth and early adulthood - but I haven't read anything new in SF for more than 20 years.

See how fickle I am.

What I liked about the quote was the two pronged idea that:

1) there is such a thing as truth

2) that our lack of acknowledgment of it doesn't change the fact

In the sea of postmodern influences today, this throwback from an earlier age - even from a secular source - is like a breath of fresh air to me.


Blessings,


Tony

2:37 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Same here- I used to be an avid SF fan, many moons ago, then stopped reading when the stories got too weird for me. I like the quote, because it is true. People who think they can fly always encounter gravity, and people who follow false gods or no God will someday discover He really does exist.

9:39 am  
Blogger agonizomai said...

Roxylee,

Well said.

Tony

12:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home