Agonizomai: God's Anger with the Wicked

Saturday, November 29, 2008

God's Anger with the Wicked
Luke 6:32-35 “If you love those who love you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what benefit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to get back the same amount. 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return, and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High, for he is kind to the ungrateful and the evil. 36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.


As usual for me, I got into a spot of controversy with some brothers during a Wednesday Bible study. We were into Luke 6 where a version of the Sermon on the Mount was being given. In verse 35 of that chapter, we are exhorted to be like God - kind and loving to our enemies. But me, being me, I felt the need to balance this scripture with John 3:17-18 and Psalm 7:11 just to preserve the idea that, though God is indeed love, and that He is indeed merciful, He never ceases to be angry with sinners.

Some people love to employ the hackneyed phrase that "God loves sinners and hates their sin", as if sin was something that has existence apart from those who commit it - or as if people were not sinners by nature and because of their very essence. The real truth is that we are inseparable from what we are - out of which springs what we do. When God looks at us, the love He has is generated entirely from His own Being and not on account of what He perceives in us. We ourselves are altogether repulsive to Him. We are the unlovely - corrupt, already condemned (unless we are in Christ). There is nothing whatsoever in us to recommend us to God.

So God is not just angry with the wicked things we do, but with the wicked beings that we are, and that anger must ultimately be satisfied. Was it satisfied on your behalf when it was unleashed upon Christ, or does it still abide upon you now, and for all eternity unless you repent? Here's one attempt at explaining wrath...


I'm not so sure I agree with Mr. Eaton (above), or with Charles Hodge's commentary on Romans when God's wrath is stripped of its emotional content and presented as a sort of dispassionate, arm's length, cerebral thing. I appreciate the effort to balance God's love and His wrath, but the way to balance is never to let the extremes be muted for the sake of harmony. It is to recognize the extremes as being part of a whole that is larger than each individually. The richness is in the extremes properly balanced and not in the extremes dulled by denial.

In Rev 14:10 we are given the picture of the lake of fire where the devil and His angels and anyone who worships the beast and its image and receives a mark on his forehead or on his hand will drink the wine of God’s wrath, poured full strength into the cup of his anger, and he will be tormented with fire and sulfur in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. Try as I might, I cannot regard this as some dispassionate expression of the theological qualities of God. This is a passionate hatred of sin and rebellion. It is a just wrath, untainted with sin but not devoid of emotion.

But we are not God. We are tainted by sin and dwelling in sinful flesh. So we cannot truly have righteous anger towards sinners. That is for God alone. We can express passionately God's wrath towards sinners as contained in His Word. And we can strive to be yielded as instruments of His mercy and love by including the whole counsel of God in our teaching, including His violent and unquenchable indignation at all sin and, by necessity, all those individual people who commit sin - which leaves nobody out, except those who are now safely in Christ.

6 Comments:

Blogger THEOparadox said...

Tony,

What's this? A GARAGE theologian? These guys are hiding out in all sorts of places these days!

Great point about not dulling the extreme ends of the spectrum. Why do we tend to minimize wrath and maximize grace? This is a deeeeeeeep topic. As you know, it is axiomatic in theology that "whatever God is, He is perfectly and He is always." So, is His anger something He IS (eternally and essentially) or something He DOES (as an act in time, motivated by at least one of His eternal attributes)? Is it in His NATURE, or merely in His ACTS? I'm exploring this line of thought a bit, but I can't say I have any firm conclusions yet. We can be sure that whatever God does, He does with His entire mind, emotion and will. So I think you are right to say His wrath is not dispassionate. All that He does is passionate in some sense, if He truly possesses emotion.

Ultimately, whatever God IS and whatever God DOES are entirely good (Psalm 119:68). And even as He expresses wrath, He does not cease to be LOVE. But when He expresses love, can we say at the same time He IS wrath? And is the wrath in His nature or His act? Perhaps this leads us to the words "Mercy triumphs over judgment" and "where sin abounds, grace does much more abound." It seems that grace and righteousness and mercy are intrinsic to His nature, while wrath and judgment and even justification are acts He performs because He is loving, gracious, merciful, righteous, holy, etc.

Is this making any sense???

On another note: you mention that our sin cannot be separated from who we are. Rex Andrews believed this so strongly that he taught people to pray this way: "Lord, I repent of me." It's quite a humbling phrase.

Grace & peace,
Derek

5:51 pm  
Blogger agonizomai said...

Derek,

This is why I leave the real rocket science to others. Questions about aseity, anthropopathy, and distinctions between essential nature and acts arising from that nature - these are all above my pay grade.

I would only add this - that I think of both God's love and His wrath as springing from His holiness. Being without sentimentality, His love is righteous; being without partiality, His justice (and wrath) are righteous.

IOW I do not see love as essence in the same way that many do. The Apostle indeed said, "God is love," but the Johannine expression is peculiar to him. It encompasses the Hebrew concept of the inseparability of deeds and creeds. "As a man thinks, so is he." God acts in love because He is love in the sense of being the fount of all love. But I don't think this statement "God is love" is meant to be definitive of the supreme being.

Liberals and some neo-evangelicals are very fond of taking this single citation and building a whole theology on it. I would say that God is just (or justice) in exactly the same sense that He is love. He is the fount of all justice and the fount of all love.

I'm not familiar with brother Rex Andrews. I'll look him up in my Funk and Wagnell's. I like what you quote him as having said. Some might think it wrong to repent of what we are but I am not one of them. Except that we cannot actually do it. We can mourn for what we are, but repentance is God's to give.


Blessings,


Tony

4:51 pm  
Blogger THEOparadox said...

Tony,

Rex Andrews is the one who wrote "What the Bible Teaches About Mercy," one of my favorite books. He was a Pentecostal minister at the Zion Faith Homes in Zion, Illinois (near Chicago). His teaching on mercy is what God used to make me re-think my legalistic theology, eventually leading me to surrender to Sovereign Grace and Reformed theology. I would probably have a few things to argue about with Andrews, were he still alive, but I still like him. He would likely refuse to argue with me and instead just pray for me.

I'm sure you could say a lot about my questions relating to essence and act in God. But we are skating out into foggy territory, so I don't blame you for holding back. It is wise to exercise discretion in these matters.

8:25 pm  
Blogger agonizomai said...

Derek,

Thanks for the info on Rex Andrews. I'll research him on line and see what I can find. Sounds like an interesting brother.

Tony

9:16 pm  
Blogger THEOparadox said...

Tony,

There is precious little of Rex Andrews' material online. To learn more about him, you may want to contact the Zion Faith Homes directly and order a copy of "What the Bible Teaches About Mercy." I've seen it sold online for ridiculous prices, but the Faith Homes will send it to you for a modest donation. I get the idea that the people from Zion don't like the internet very much, so they don't have a website and they haven't posted materials by their authors. These folks are serious pray-four-hours-a-day Pentecostals who have little interest in new-fangled technology. I mean REALLY SERIOUS Pentecostals - but they're kind and gracious, too.

Rex Andrews' understudy left the Faith Homes a few years ago and opened a retreat center in Wisconsin. His name is Doug Detert, wonderful man. One of the most profound, quiet preachers I've ever heard. Had him and his wife over for dinner once. His ministry is called the Evergreen Center (www.evergreencenterinc.org). Doug would probably be more than happy to chat with you about his mentor - he's got some great stories!

Derek

8:22 am  
Blogger agonizomai said...

Derek,

I took a look and you are right about the price at retail. I downloaded someone's Power Point Presentation based on the book just to get the flavor.

I can see a lot of similarity of thought between the content and some of the things I have come to believe - but I would obviously differ with what is said greatly in some ways, too.

I appreciate the contact info and, if I decide to get the book I will take your suggestion about contacting Faith Homes directly.

Tony

5:36 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home