Agonizomai: Free Hair Curling

Sunday, November 23, 2008

Free Hair Curling

O.K. So I like gentle preaching as I mentioned in this post. But I also like good old fashioned Southern Baptist, fire-in-the-belly preaching that cuts right to the heart. I need both. I would venture to say we all need both. I would even go so far as to say it is impossible to have a glimpse of the One True God apart from hearing both the kindness and severity of God. Some preachers can deliver both, but not many. That's why I listen to a broad spectrum of good preaching. Here, then, on the scale of Mexican jalapeno hotness, is a mild/medium "burner" that will slightly curl your hair... the really hot stuff may come next Sunday when your taste buds have accustomed somewhat.


The Discoveries of an Awakened Soul
Henry Mahan - Zebulon Baptist Church




Now go feel comfortable with your religion... [/smile}

2 Comments:

Blogger THEOparadox said...

Tony,

Awhile back I listened to a sermon by Jeff Noblit because I saw him listed on your blog. He DEFINITLEY curled my hair (seeing my picture, you realize the apparent impossibility of this). I hadn't heard preaching like that in many years. You're right - it's good to hear this kind of preaching and I needed to hear it. God has perfect timing. I need more of that kind of red hot preaching! Jesus and Paul were very gentle, but they didn't mince words and weren't afraid to confront when necessary.

Kindness and severity - it's a bit of paradox, eh? But God knows what we need and when we need it.

Derek

3:30 pm  
Blogger agonizomai said...

Derek,

Ah, yes - Noblit! And in couple of weeks I'll be posting something by someone from his church that will not only curl, but also singe your hair.

I find that the preachers who are best at severity are the ones that awaken my legalism and the ones that are best at preaching grace awaken my license. I'm always falling off one side of the horse or the other. But together, one hopes, they prod me in the right direction.

Blessings,


Tony

3:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home