Agonizomai: Romans Chapter 1<br>Paul's Gospel, Paul's Testimony Part 11

Friday, November 21, 2008

Romans Chapter 1
Paul's Gospel, Paul's Testimony Part 11
Duty and Worship (v. 13-15)




Romans 9:13-15 I want you to know, brothers, that I have often intended to come to you (but thus far have been prevented), in order that I may reap some harvest among you as well as among the rest of the Gentiles. 14 I am under obligation both to Greeks and to barbarians, both to the wise and to the foolish. 15 So I am eager to preach the gospel to you also who are in Rome.


Paul knows that God has called him for a purpose – to bring the gospel to the Gentiles. He is thereby obligated to do it…
For if I preach the gospel, that gives me no ground for boasting. For necessity is laid upon me. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel! For if I do this of my own will, I have a reward; but if not of my own will, I am entrusted with a commission. {1Corinthians 9:16-17}
It is a duty to God arising from God’s commission to Him. But if duty was all it was then the Christian life would be a joyless dirge, little removed from all the legalistic observances of the law. There is nothing wrong with duty, and we do indeed owe a duty to God to be obedient to our calling. More than this, we will be held accountable for how we discharge that duty.

But Paul understands more than mere duty. There is no holding back, no dragging of the heels, no half-heartedness, no resentment, no sense of imposition in Paul – he is eager to preach the gospel. He lives for it. He loves it. This is infinitely more than the joyless execution of a duty – it is a form of worship.
The saying is sure and worthy of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners. And I am the foremost of sinners; but I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display his perfect patience for an example to those who were to believe in him for eternal life. To the King of ages, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever. Amen. {1Timothy 1:15-17}
This is what Christ had done for His saints. He has freed us from blind slavery to works, to mere observance, to slavish duty – and He has made us willing and joyful slaves of righteousness. We serve gladly, though we still serve. The burden is light.

Is the burden light for you? Is it pure joy to be found serving God? Or do you feel the weight, do you struggle against the martyr syndrome, against subliminal resentments? Are there murmurings? Do you derive perverse pleasure from grumbling while resentfully doing what you feel you must? Is there enthusiasm or dejection in your walk? Do you give in joyful liberality? Do you serve with glad lightness of heart? Do you teach with enthusiasm, preach with rejoicing conviction, exhort others with sincere and burning hope in the Lord?

Ask yourself if the Christian life is a mere duty or an expression of worship for you. Ask God to give you the grace to so press into Him until every fibre of your being wants to run to do His will with gladness and thanksgiving, so that your cup will run over, and others will sup from the overflow. Paul did.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home