Agonizomai: Sermon of the Week<br>Fundamentals of Spiritual Warfare Pt 1

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Sermon of the Week
Fundamentals of Spiritual Warfare Pt 1

Here's Roy Hargrave of Riverbend Community Church, Ormond Beach, FL preaching some hard truths in his unique gravelly voice.

This sermon is the first in a 3 part series on spiritual warfare. Here he uses texts from 2 Corinthians and Romans in a hard-driving wake-up call to both the saved and the unsaved about the nature of the spiritual battle behind the scenes.

This is a great parallel resource to the post made on May 1st dealing with the Smyrnan church. Many of the same themes are mentioned - such as suffering, tribulation and truth. And I loved the bit about the Christian's attitude to death at the hands of persecutors.

The only caution I have here is that this particular sermon is heavy on law and light on gospel. Both are there, but I would have liked to hear more on how the weakness and powerlessness of the Christian (both true) are there so that we will abide in Him Who has done all, and Who will do all in and through and for us - by our faith in His completed work. Here are his sermon and his text...
_____________

2Cor 10:1-6 I, Paul, myself entreat you, by the meekness and gentleness of Christ––I who am humble when face to face with you, but bold toward you when I am away!–– 2 I beg of you that when I am present I may not have to show boldness with such confidence as I count on showing against some who suspect us of walking according to the flesh. 3 For though we walk in the flesh, we are not waging war according to the flesh. 4 For the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh but have divine power to destroy strongholds. 5 We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ, 6 being ready to punish every disobedience, when your obedience is complete.


Fundamentals of Spiritual Warfare - Part 1




Roy Hargrave

Play in your default mp3 player



1 Comments:

Blogger THEOparadox said...

Tony,

You're getting close to home, here. I've been to this church (we saw Steve Green there a few years back). Roy Hargrave's sermon on the balances in Calvinism was definitive for me early in my study of Reformed theology. He looks too young to have such a weathered voice.

Grace & peace,
Derek

11:39 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home