Agonizomai: It is Well with My Soul - Part 2

Thursday, June 04, 2009

It is Well with My Soul - Part 2
Here , as promised, is the second rendition of this great hymn. I hope that, over the last couple of days, you had time to think about Spafford and his sense of priorities.

When he had lost his fortune and most of his family, rather than obsessing over the loss (though I'm quite sure he felt it more deeply than I will ever know) he instead rejoiced that His sins were forgiven by the grace of God in Jesus Christ.

Think of those lines as you listen again, where he says:

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!


What does this tell you about Spafford's priorities?

It tells me that Spafford thought that the greatest tragedy in his life was not his losses of dear ones (though these were great) but his sin against God, His maker. And his greatest joy was not his family, though he loved them powerfully, but His Redeemer, and the thought of meeting with Him in the sweet by and by.

It sort of reminds me of Luther's words, "Let goods and kindred go, this mortal life also, the body they may kill; God's truth abideth still; His kingdom is forever." But that's for another time! Today, be humbled by Spafford's heart...




[Bono - eat your heart out!]




2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahhh.... thank you. This song is so powerful to get priorities straight!

11:09 am  
Blogger agonizomai said...

Roxylee,

Yes - God has given us examples in history to encourage us along the way. But even these point us to Christ above all, as the Supreme embodiment of all that is good, holy and perfect.

Thanks for commenting


Blessings,


Tony

7:44 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home