Agonizomai: Sermon of the Week<br>The Reproach of the Solemn Assembly

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sermon of the Week
The Reproach of the Solemn Assembly

Many will remember David Wilkerson from his book "The Cross and the Switchblade", first published in 1962, but documenting events that took place in 1958. Well, I'm old enough to remember it, anyway.

Rev. Wilkerson is a non-denominational minister with Assemblies of God associations who has faithfully served his Savior for decades. Now, I'm not a Pentecostal and anyone who had read my devotional posts on 1Corinthians can have no doubt about that fact - but like Wilkerson I am a Christian. Because we share this common salvation, we also share a reverence for the holiness and sovereignty of God.

No doubt there are many things upon which we would disagree, especially related to his views on prophesy (including his own prophesies) but I realize that he is a man whose bootstraps I am unworthy to untie. He has walked the walk and not just talked the talk.

It is my lot in life, it seems, to admire Pentecostal believers while having serious reservations about their theology. In the weekly Bible study that I attend there are a number of Pentecostals, as well as Brethren and I find them to be people full of the grace of God, with humble hearts.

So I am not the least abashed as a Reformed Christian to feature a sermon by a man of a different persuasion on non-essential matters. In fact it was this very sermon that I found extremely encouraging at a time when it felt like the church I was attending had gone lock, stock and barrel over to every crazy Charismatic clown trick in the book, from gold dust to gold diggers.

Wilkerson and I found common ground in our mutual horror of word/faith/prosperity heresies and their shameless manifestation in God's church. Here, then, is David Wilkerson mourning for sins perpetrated in Jesus' name, and for the lack of discernment which allowed it.


The Reproach of the Solemn Assembly



David Wilkerson - Times Square Non-Denominational Church

Listen in your default mp3 player

and here is his text...

Zephaniah 3:18 (AV) I will gather them that are sorrowful for the solemn assembly, who are of thee, to whom the reproach of it was a burden.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home