Agonizomai: God of the Ages - Travis Doucette

Tuesday, November 10, 2009

God of the Ages - Travis Doucette
Well, my good friend and brother in Christ, Pastor Bruce, asked me to listen to this song. It was written by a young man named Travis Doucette, whose family is in long-time attendance at Bruce's church.

I'm putting it up here for anyone to listen to, but I am doing so without comment or embellishment. Modern worship music isn't something of which I have a great understanding, nor for which I have a great affinity. It grates on my traditions a lot. As you will have noticed, there are a few of the more modern things that I almost reluctantly endorse - (and others I damn with faint praise [/smile]) but I am hardly an impartial judge.

Those of you who are more attuned to, and tolerant of, modern stuff can listen and tell me what you think. If you do, maybe I'll tell you what I think, too. The link is to the actual artist performing the song and it will open in the Agonizomai native flash player; the YouTube version immediately below it is a performance by members of the Thomas Road Baptist Church in Lynchburg, VA. (closely associated with Liberty University).

God of the Ages - Travis Doucette




2 Comments:

Blogger THEOparadox said...

Tony,

I think the song is super! It's God-centered, has great musical dynamics, and turns the heart toward the sovereignty of God.

Generally, I look for three kinds of songs, regardless of genre:

1. God-exalting songs
2. Cross-centered/Gospel-centered songs
3. Personal, heartfelt testimonials that honestly portray the existential realities of a life in a sinful world.

This is basically what we find in the Psalms - oh, and some imprecatory rants against enemies, too - but those don't play well in most churches (they make fairly good Country music and excellent rap, however). Two genres I thoroughly dislike, no offense to LeCrae and Shai Linne.

This song is definitely God-exalting and (therefore) edifying.

Blessings,
Derek

9:45 am  
Blogger agonizomai said...

Derek,

Thanks for the comment. It's much more enlightened than anything I would have to say. I'll try and see that Travis hears your encouraging words.

Blessings,


Tony

11:14 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home