Agonizomai: When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

Saturday, September 19, 2009

When I Survey the Wondrous Cross

Here is a hymn that, for me, echoes time spent in the assembly at Grammar School when I was just a callow youth. I was ignorant of the import of the words then, even as I still struggle to comprehend them now. It seems that the deeper I think I go, the more there is yet to be understood.

But the thoughts expressed in this simple worship song are the thing to which Malachi is pointing - in fact, they are the thing to which all of the Old Testament points, and about which all of the New Testament testifies. "Tis mystery all" - but it is that sort of mystery which glows with the Truth of the ages; the purpose of creation and the end of all things are found in Jesus Christ.




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home