Agonizomai: Sermon of the Week<br>Who's Really at Work?

Sunday, July 26, 2009

Sermon of the Week
Who's Really at Work?

Here is C.J. Mahaney speaking at the Resolved 2009 Conference. I don't listen to him much, which is evidently my loss. Maybe I'll have to make more time to do that.

This is a session which I like precisely because I DISlike it so much . I know those who would be quite enthused about that sort of paradox [/smile]. But I like this delivery for two main reasons:
1) It echoes what I have found to be true about the nature of human responsibility and Divine sovereignty, but it does so in a more balanced and spiritual way than I have often done.

2) It cuts me to the core because it exposes my own hypocrisy in this area. If anything, I tend to be too passive and he holds me to account for that.
Obviously, my DISlike is precisely because of reason 2 above. I dislike being cut to the heart. I don't like my hypocrisy to be exposed. And I don't cherish being held to account. What a bundle of contradiction I am! But then, so are you if you will be honest with yourself.

And it's like C.J. says at the end - we can be both convicted and encouraged at one and the same time precisely because it is God Who is at work in us, AND because it is on account of Christ's cross work that we are made participants. It all comes back to God in the end.


Who's Really at Work? - C.J. Mahaney



2 Comments:

Blogger THEOparadox said...

Tony,

I know I'm going to DISlike and like this message for the same reasons.

Blessings,
Derek

PS - I noted with approval the many paradoxes in this post. :)

5:17 pm  
Blogger agonizomai said...

Derek,

I'm almost as moved as you are :o)

Blessings,


Tony

6:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home