Agonizomai: Romans - A Foreword

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Romans - A Foreword



The Romans are coming, the Romans are coming....

I am about to begin blogging on the first three chapters of Romans. These are only part of a larger, as yet unfinished, study of the whole book. As stated before, I will be covering only the first three chapters - but I will sometimes refer to other parts of the book where there is a relevant or interesting connection.

In following along with the comments on Romans, it will be extremely helpful to have the charts I designed to summarize the content. These are in Word format. Pictures of these will be posted from time to time, along with links to an archive where they can be viewed, downloaded and printed.

The first of these charts is a general overview of the entire book of Romans, which is given below:



Double click the image for a larger view of the chart. Download the chart in MSWord format here, and keep it handy. It, and others that will follow, really will help you to find and keep your bearings.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger THEOparadox said...

I can't wait!

I suppose this might be viewed as a need of sanctification in the area of patience. But as I've taught my kids, there's a bad "can't wait" and a good "can't wait." This is a good "can't wait."

11:28 am  
Blogger agonizomai said...

Hi Derek,

The greater the anticipation, the greater the disappointment. Nothing can live up such lip-smacking expectation.

Something that might help you to understand the occasional diatribe in this study is to know that this was written almost 5 years ago, at a time when I was in a struggle against both charismatic and seeker sensitive influences in my church.

I'm talking both "gold dust" and "Purpose Driven" here. It was almost "Antoninus contra mundum" at the time - or it seemed that way.

But I stand by what I wrote and think it still has relevance today. Be as discerning with it all as you know I would be with your own stuff, and let me have it where I ask for it.


Tony

11:42 am  
Blogger THEOparadox said...

Tony,

The diatribe style of writing has its obvious weaknesses, but it was Luther's approach in Bondage of the Will, and Blaise Pascal used it heavily in one of his famous works in which he blasted the daylights out of Catholic Church corruption.

So, it will be good to read your passionate arguments against what really are dangerous, destructive, possibly heretical approaches to Christian faith.

I still "can't wait" to get started studying Romans with you.

Derek

2:21 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home