Agonizomai: Christ Instead

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Christ Instead
I often resist this sort of schmaltzy, touchy-feely, ethereal experiential sentimentality. When it says below "For me 'twas not the truth you taught, to you so clear, to me so dim, but when you came to me you brought a sense of Him" an alarm bell warns me not to demote right theology in favor of mere feelings. But there is sometimes also a danger of suppressing feelings altogether, and that, too, is wrong.

So once in a blue moon I like to secretly have a dewy-eyed moment of schmaltz, without abdicating my theology but also without being overly pompous about it at the same time. So enjoy this one before getting back under the heavy load of theological truth in Hebrews...


Christ Instead*

Not merely in the words you say,
Not only in your deeds confessed.
But in the most unconscious way
Is Christ expressed.

Is it a beatific smile ?
A holy light upon your brow ?
Oh, no I felt His presence while
You laughed just now.

For me 'twas not the truth you taught,
To you so clear, to me so dim,
But when you came to me you brought
A sense of Him.

And from your eyes He beckons me,
And from your heart His love is shed
Till I lose sight of you-and see
The Christ instead.


Author Unknown


[* instead of YOU - not instead of right theology; you need right theology to recognize that it is actually Christ that you "see".]




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home