Agonizomai: Romans Chapter 1<br>Pauls Gospel, Paul's Testimony Part 1

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Romans Chapter 1
Pauls Gospel, Paul's Testimony Part 1
The Effectual Call




Thank the Lord that, until this time, Paul was prevented (v. 13), even though eager (v.15), from going to Rome to preach the gospel to them. Whatever loss the Romans suffered by being deprived of Paul’s presence was God’s gift to the church catholic in posterity, because Paul was moved to commit to writing the very gospel that he would have preached in person to the Romans. Paul knew it was God’s will that he could not get to Rome (v. 10), because he had come to understand that…
…in everything God works for good with those who love him, who are called according to his purpose. {Romans 8:28}
The proof of Paul’s gospel – the one he is about to unfold from Chapter 1, verse 16 onwards – the proof is found in this introduction, where he openly and almost unconsciously displays towards the saints his faith in the God of his salvation as it is being worked out in his own life. Some of those elements are:
• The effectual call of God
• Jesus believed as Messiah, Son of God and Son of man
• The Lordship of Christ
• Sovereign Grace
• Faith and Obedience
• Belovedness in Christ
• Peace with God
• Gratitude towards God
• Praying in God’s Will
• Mutual Encouragement of the Saints
• Duty and Worship

The effectual call (vv. 1, 7)

Romans 1:1, 7 1 Paul, a servant of Christ Jesus, called to be an apostle, set apart for the gospel of God...7 To all those in Rome who are loved by God and called to be saints: Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.


And the word “called” appears twice in this introductory part of the first chapter. Paul describes himself as “called to be an apostle” (v.1), and he describes all the believers in Rome as “called to be saints” (v.7). From the outset we can see that Paul understood that God works by calling people – from the highest to the least – whether apostles or apple-pickers. Beyond this “calling” he shows us that God calls His people for a purpose; Paul was called and “set apart for the gospel of God” (v.1) and the Roman believers were called to partake in the “obedience of faith” (v. 5) which Paul’s obedience to his own call was purposed by God nourish.

Every believer there ever was has been called by God. We shall see in Romans 9 (much later) that this call is the result of God’s choice. The call described here is what has become known as the “effectual call”. Elsewhere, the Bible speaks of a general call, or “invitation”, which goes out to many.
Many are called but few are chosen {Matthew 22:14}.
This truth about God’s calling is foundational to Paul’s gospel, otherwise it would not appear so early on in its presentation. In fact, it is impossible to understand the gospel properly without accepting a proper Biblical view of God as the One in charge of all things, including salvation – even though it is worked out through the free acts of men. If God is not absolutely and finally in sovereign charge of all things from start to finish then, quite simply, He is not God. He is something less than God – and that is a contradiction in terms. Conversely, if man is not truly a free moral agent then God cannot justly hold him accountable, and thus punish him, for his sins. We will try to hold onto both of these truths as we progress through the study.

From the outset, we need to see that, though the gospel itself is to be preached in all the world (thus calling many), it is only ever heard and obeyed by those whom God effectually calls, because they were chosen.
But I said to you that you have seen me and yet do not believe. All that the Father gives me will come to me; and him who comes to me I will not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do my own will, but the will of him who sent me; and this is the will of him who sent me, that I should lose nothing of all that he has given me, but raise it up at the last day. For this is the will of my Father, that every one who sees the Son and believes in him should have eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day." {John 6:36-40}

…but you (the Jewish leaders) do not believe, because you do not belong to my sheep. My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me; and I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish, and no one shall snatch them out of my hand. My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all, and no one is able to snatch them out of the Father’s hand. {John 11: 25-28}

But he (Jesus) said to him, "A man once gave a great banquet, and invited many; and at the time for the banquet he sent his servant to say to those who had been invited, ‘Come; for all is now ready.’ But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it; I pray you, have me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them; I pray you, have me excused.’ And another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’ So the servant came and reported this to his master. Then the householder in anger said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and maimed and blind and lame.’ And the servant said, ‘Sir, what you commanded has been done, and still there is room.’ And the master said to the servant, ‘Go out to the highways and hedges, and compel people to come in, that my house may be filled. For I tell you, none of those men who were invited shall taste my banquet.’" {Luke 14:16-24}
The compulsion in the original language of the gospel is literally “make it necessary for them to come in”. It is not by outward force – not by an overriding of the will that they are brought. Similarly, all believers come because it was “made necessary” for them to come through a combination of providence, preaching and the working of the Holy Spirit. The result was that they consented to come, but their coming was both ordained and orchestrated by God.

Rather than horror at this doctrine, we should be greatly comforted. For, if God set His love upon us and placed us in His Son while we were rebels against Him, then is it not reasonable to believe that He will keep us in His Son? Yes, we must persevere, we must keep on until the end, we must abide in Him – but in the end do we not do so because we believe that He is keeping us? Isn’t that what it’s all about – abiding in His love through growing faith, which spurs us to deeper and deeper loving obedience – which in turn keeps us faithful until the end? Unlike much in the modern gospel, we see that true salvation begins and ends entirely with God.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home