Agonizomai: Is Emergent the New Modern?

Saturday, September 06, 2008

Is Emergent the New Modern?
I'm still savoring the book "Why We're Not Emergent (By Two Guys Who Should Be)" from DeYoung and Kluck. The header used here comes from the book and precedes the following very interesting quote from Chapter 7, written by Kevin DeYoung:
"The big irony about the emergent church may be just this: For all their chastisement of all things modern, they are in most ways thoroughly modern. Many of the leading books display a familiar combination of social gospel liberalism, a neo-orthodox view of Scripture, and a post-Enlightenment disdain for hell, the wrath of God, propositional revelation, propitiation, and anything more than a vague moralistic, warmhearted, adoctrinal Christianity."
The quote is followed by a few examples, such as Rob Bell and Doug Pagitt,
to back up the assertions, but which I'm not including here. Buy the book and read it if you need more detail.

2 Comments:

Blogger THEOparadox said...

Tony,

I am sorry to hear of your loss. May the Lord help you to be a comfort to your Dad at this time, and may He Himself grant all that you need. My prayers are with you.

Derek

11:43 pm  
Blogger agonizomai said...

Derek,

Thank you, brother for your comforting words and for your prayers.

I've now posted my absence dates to the blog. If you have comments, please still make them and I will respond when I get back (the Lord willing).

Blessings,


Tony

1:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home